If you’ve ever been the first one on the scene at an automobile accident or have been working next to someone who had a traumatic injury at work then you know how important it is to know what to do. So often in the stress of the situation we forget some of the basics. Your desire to “help in a hurry” mysteriously fogs your brain of basic emergency procedures. That is why it is so important to plan for and teach your employees emergency response basics.
For fire related emergencies, always use the emergency exit closest to you and have an alternate route in case an exit is blocked.
If possible, shut-off any equipment you are operating before leaving your work area.
If there is a possible gas leak, evacuate the area immediately. Do not use the phone, this includes landlines and mobile phones, do not turn on or off lights, and do not use any electrical device.
For weather related emergencies, plan ahead, so you can respond quickly and efficiently.
Discussion Points and Planning Ideas:
- Know the nearest emergency exits from your work area and designate a meeting place.
- Train, communicate, and conduct practice drills.
- Maintain a clear passage for your escape route; do not block or lock exits.
- Identify areas within the facility or workplace in the case of an earthquake.
- Remain calm and follow proper safety procedures.
Review and discuss the basics that each of us should know for our workplace.
– From right here, where is the nearest phone to call emergency services?
– What number do you call for emergency services?
– From right here, where is the nearest fire extinguisher?
– From right here, where is the nearest exit?
– Do you know where you are to meet if we must evacuate?
– From right here, where is the nearest defibrillator?
– Who knows how to use a defibrillator?
– From right here, where is the nearest bloodborne pathogen kit?
– Who knows how to perform CPR?
– What are the signs of a stroke?
– What are the signs of a heart attack?
– If the power were to suddenly go off right now, what should you do?
– If very severe weather was to suddenly approach, what should you do?
– From right here, where is the nearest first aid kit?
Download a PDF of this Toolbox Talks in English