Driving down the road is no longer a quiet experience. With cell phones and interactive video screens added to the traditional audio, the interior of your vehicle can easily distract and reduce your focus on driving.
These days with everyone’s life so busy, paying attention while driving can be difficult. Have you ever been driving down the road and suddenly you notice you don’t remember the last three miles you traveled? Although your attention may only be diverted for a split second, the ever-changing variables of the road and other vehicles can make you instantly vulnerable to accidents.
Tips to help you concentrate on what you should be doing…driving.
- Tie up loose ends before you leave the job or office.
- Finish eating and grooming before getting in a vehicle.
- If you must travel in heavy traffic areas, plan your travel at times other than rush hour.
- Know the condition of the roads on which you are travelling and drive only as fast as those conditions allow.
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Set the radio to a station and leave it there until you stop again.
- Stay alert and drive defensively, with caution.
- Watch out for and anticipate other drivers, pedestrians, or children on or near the road.
- Stay out of the other vehicle’s blind spot.
- Keep a safe distance from other drivers by maintaining a safety cushion around your car.
- Turn off or put all hand-held personal electronic devices where you can’t reach them.
- Don’t call or text someone that you know is driving.
Safe drivers scan constantly for hazards, predicting how they may be affected by a hazard and pre-determining how to avoid or reduce them.
How can this apply to the workplace?
These same principles apply when walking a jobsite. To maintain a distraction free environment, we all need to stay focused with our hands on the wheel, eyes on the road and our minds on driving, walking, and moving around at your job.
Your safety and that of our friends, family and other motorists and pedestrians depends on it.
Let’s drive safe today!
Download a PDF of this Toolbox Talks in English
Download a PDF of this Toolbox Talks in Spanish