As you already know, we are expecting significant snow and ice the next few days. Here are some quick precautions to help reduce the likelihood of injuries:
- Clear walking surfaces of snow and ice, spread deicer, and salt multiple times throughout the day.
- Set up safety cones to designate a clear walkway for employees.
- Remind employees to take the following precautions to prevent slips and falls when walking on icy or snow-covered walkways.
- Wear proper footwear. A pair of insulated and water-resistant boots with good rubber treads is a must. Keeping a pair of rubber over-shoes with good treads which fit over your street shoes is a good idea during the winter months.
- Do not wear dress shoes or high heels that have no traction.
- Take short steps and walk at a slower pace so you can react quickly to a change in traction.
- If you see an unsafe condition take action to correct it.
Read more from OSHA’s website or DOSH’s website.